OT: Pink Floyd
Ritchie
2005-06-12 17:45:45 UTC
If anyone is a fan of PF there are rumors that the original Line up of
Waters, Gilmour, Mason and Wright are reuniting for a benefit concert. If
I'm not mistaken this is the first time they will perform together in over
20 plus years. I have always liked their music and I think Gilmour is one
of the best lead guitarist out there. I will be surprised if it happens
because there was a lot of anger between Waters and the rest of the band
during these 20 plus years. Who knows maybe Waters decided to grow up and
stop being such a cry baby.
kevin
2005-06-12 18:19:43 UTC
Post by Ritchie
If anyone is a fan of PF there are rumors that the original Line up of
Waters, Gilmour, Mason and Wright are reuniting for a benefit concert. If
I'm not mistaken this is the first time they will perform together in over
20 plus years. I have always liked their music and I think Gilmour is one
of the best lead guitarist out there. I will be surprised if it happens
because there was a lot of anger between Waters and the rest of the band
during these 20 plus years. Who knows maybe Waters decided to grow up and
stop being such a cry baby.
there have been rumors like this forever... I dont think it will ever
happen.
Ritchie
2005-06-12 20:45:47 UTC
Post by kevin
there have been rumors like this forever... I dont think it will ever
happen.
Dont know if the link will work but I found this while doing a search on
the rumors.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050612/ap_on_en_mu/britain_pink_floyd_4
kevin
2005-06-12 21:05:20 UTC
wow I guess they are going to play together. wondersl never cease.
Anders C. Nielsen
happen.
Anders C. Nielsen
2005-06-12 21:07:42 UTC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4085484.stm
Ritchie
2005-06-12 21:22:04 UTC
Post by Anders C. Nielsen
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4085484.stm
Hmm.... July 2nd, does that give them enough time to get together and
practice? In reality those guys probably know the material by heart. I
would love to be a fly on the wall when Waters and Gilmour talk in private
just to hear how civil they can be to each other after all the animosity
between them through the years. :-)
t***@abcs.com
2005-06-13 01:23:49 UTC
Post by Ritchie
Hmm.... July 2nd, does that give them enough time to get together and
practice? In reality those guys probably know the material by heart. I
would love to be a fly on the wall when Waters and Gilmour talk in private
just to hear how civil they can be to each other after all the animosity
between them through the years. :-)
I like the band. I like the old albums. And I can actually listen to
some of those old albums without wanting to frisbee the CD out the
window.
Even if the local rock radio station is pulling out all the stops to
get me, and anyone else to hate the songs by putting them in massive
rotation.

Tom
Ritchie

I'll always love PF old and new.
Anders C. Nielsen

kevin
2005-06-13 21:00:22 UTC
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:36:36 +0200, "Anders C. Nielsen"
I can STRONGLY recommend Roger´s solo album "Amused to Death" from 1992.
It´s masterpiece of huge dimensions if you like high high high-quality rock
music....
yea I remember that, it's the one with the monkey watching tv on the
cover? The production on that thing is pretty intense, there is one
song where a sleigh is going thru the snow in the beginning and I
swear if you close your eyes you are there... It uses some type of
sound processing that at least by 1992 standards was amazing, much
better then Radio Kaos. The Pro's and Con's of Hitchiking is pretty
good too if you like Roger Water's solo stuff (It's love it or hate it
material IMO) for that matter The Final Cut is basically a RW solo
album too...
Anders C. Nielsen
2005-06-13 21:31:51 UTC
Post by kevin
yea I remember that, it's the one with the monkey watching tv on the
cover? The production on that thing is pretty intense, there is one
song where a sleigh is going thru the snow in the beginning and I
swear if you close your eyes you are there... It uses some type of
sound processing that at least by 1992 standards was amazing, much
better then Radio Kaos. The Pro's and Con's of Hitchiking is pretty
good too if you like Roger Water's solo stuff (It's love it or hate it
material IMO) for that matter The Final Cut is basically a RW solo
album too...
Yes, The Final Cut is definetely a Roger Waters Solo-project...written
entirely by him as far as I remember..
- IMO "Amused To Death" is his masterpiece along with "The Wall"...The Final
Cut" is a very close number 3....

Radio Kaos & Pros.. are both pretty average IMO...with a few stand-out
tracks...

- I can defintely also recommend his DVD "In the Flesh"...superb sound, very
loong and with many superb guitar solos....
And while IŽm at it : The Wall in Berlin (DVD) is also a must have for any
music / rock fan on the planet. It MUST be the biggest and most intense
outdoor concert EVER....

Anders
t***@abcs.com
2005-06-13 23:45:42 UTC
Post by Ritchie
Post by t***@abcs.com
I like the band. I like the old albums. And I can actually listen to
some of those old albums without wanting to frisbee the CD out the
window.
Even if the local rock radio station is pulling out all the stops to
get me, and anyone else to hate the songs by putting them in massive
rotation.
I'll always love PF old and new.
I don't know that I'd say I love it. But it is classic stuff, and I
think if someone wants to play music, they should listen to a lot of
PF stuff.

Tom
kevin
2005-06-13 02:23:42 UTC
Post by t***@abcs.com
Even if the local rock radio station is pulling out all the stops to
get me, and anyone else to hate the songs by putting them in massive
rotation.
they still play Floyd on the radio? The rock station here doesnt, at
least I dont think so, I barely listen to it. Today I listened to
part of the Final Cut just for the hell of it... I know all those
Floyd cd's by heart, even tho I havent listened to them in along long
time.. maybe 10+ years. My fav was always Animals. I remember
liking some of Water's solo stuff and Momentary Lapse of Reason as
well... but none of that stuff equalled the classic 70's albums.

There is probably very little chance, but it would be interesting to
hear what a new PF album would sound like. Im sure bootlegs will hit
the net before the concert is over.... and there will be the official
live cd/dvd release... how can they pass up on that? I read
someplace that Pink Floyd would be the biggest money maker if they
reunited and went on tour. Im sure this is true.
Ritchie
2005-06-13 02:21:33 UTC
Post by kevin
they still play Floyd on the radio? The rock station here doesnt, at
least I dont think so, I barely listen to it. Today I listened to
part of the Final Cut just for the hell of it... I know all those
Floyd cd's by heart, even tho I havent listened to them in along long
time.. maybe 10+ years. My fav was always Animals. I remember
liking some of Water's solo stuff and Momentary Lapse of Reason as
well... but none of that stuff equalled the classic 70's albums.
My local station occasionally plays Floyd. So far today I have listened to
Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon and The Final Cut.
Post by kevin
There is probably very little chance, but it would be interesting to
hear what a new PF album would sound like. Im sure bootlegs will hit
the net before the concert is over.... and there will be the official
live cd/dvd release... how can they pass up on that? I read
someplace that Pink Floyd would be the biggest money maker if they
reunited and went on tour. Im sure this is true.
I'm sure that a CD/DVD will follow the one time reunion, like you said how
could they pass up the opportunity? I think they would be the biggest money
machine out there if they decided to cut a new cd and do a world tour.
Everyone knows who Floyd is.
t***@abcs.com
2005-06-13 23:48:48 UTC
Post by kevin
Post by t***@abcs.com
Even if the local rock radio station is pulling out all the stops to
get me, and anyone else to hate the songs by putting them in massive
rotation.
they still play Floyd on the radio? The rock station here doesnt, at
least I dont think so, I barely listen to it.
I barely listen to the local station either, but they do play Floyd
enough that I hear a couple songs weekly. Sometimes more, sometimes
less. Most driving trips I take are 2 or 3 songs tops.

Tom
JgbIntBass
2005-06-16 01:01:22 UTC
Yawn. Worst thing that can happen is that a re-formed Pink Floyd goes
on tour with tickets selling for about $100-$150... for a horrible
seat. Best thing that can happen is that the young wanker in The
Delicate Sound of Thunder concert video who plays bass and "sings" part
of Run Like Hell hopefully has been fired... as he even being in Dave
Gilmour's Pink Floyd shows that something's wrong with Gilmour... as
the kid has no business even being on the same stage as Gilmour. Next
worst thing would be the return of the "hoo-hoo"'s when they play
"Money", never mind that the hoo-hoo's are NOT on Money on DSOTM.
Thankfully, Roger Waters doesn't have his band include any hoo-hoo's on
the "In The Flesh" concert DVD he did.
The over-rated light show is a big reason why Gilmour's Pink Floyd
hasn't toured since '94 since I believe I've heard, sure, PF earned
$200 million for their tour in support of The Division Bell but the
light show and hauling two stages ate up about $100 million. Actually,
the worst thing is that Judas Priest and AC/DC easily blow PF out of
the water since at any time, someone from Judas Priest or AC/DC is
moving around on stage whereas unless Waters talks the other members of
PF to do some moving around, they simply stand around in their same
position roughly most of the concert! Now I really have more respect
for the Rolling Stones since like Judas Priest and AC/DC, they tend to
move around the stage also.
Rock Hard Ride Free...
P.S. This Sunday at the Nissan Pavilion in Bristow/Manassas, Virginia ,
I *WANT* to hear the Priest perform "Worth Fighting For" live!
Ritchie
2005-06-16 01:17:17 UTC
Comparing JP or AC/DC to PF is like comparing apples and oranges. The
members of PF are in it for the music. KK and Glenn can only wish to be as
good as Gilmour. When one goes to a PF show one goes for a certain
experience that JP or any of the other bands can never come close to.

To be honest if I had a choice to see JP or PF I would much rather see PF.
JP has grown too stale and predictable in their on stage performances by
doing the same thing for the last 20 years. Robs intros to the songs are
the same as they were 20 plus years ago. That's why I would love to go to a
JP concert where all they performed was just what's on AOR, because Rob
would have to come up with new lines instead of the boring same old ones.
But then again that might create some problems, you know having to come up
with something new.
kevin
2005-06-16 02:00:06 UTC
Post by Ritchie
Rob
would have to come up with new lines instead of the boring same old ones.
But then again that might create some problems, you know having to come up
with something new.
This is a metal thing, I notice alot of metal bands repeat the same
banter every night. I guess they subscribe to the old saying "if it
aint broke, dont fix it"
t***@abcs.com
2005-06-16 02:03:22 UTC
Post by Ritchie
Comparing JP or AC/DC to PF is like comparing apples and oranges. The
members of PF are in it for the music. KK and Glenn can only wish to be as
good as Gilmour. When one goes to a PF show one goes for a certain
experience that JP or any of the other bands can never come close to.
To be honest if I had a choice to see JP or PF I would much rather see PF.
JP has grown too stale and predictable in their on stage performances by
doing the same thing for the last 20 years. Robs intros to the songs are
the same as they were 20 plus years ago. That's why I would love to go to a
JP concert where all they performed was just what's on AOR, because Rob
would have to come up with new lines instead of the boring same old ones.
But then again that might create some problems, you know having to come up
with something new.
Liking PF or not, I just can't say I'd rather see them in concert.
I'll give it to Gilmour that he's got a great sense of melody, and
therefore plays very melodic guitar solos. Stuff you'll always
remember. PF also has a concert full of good songs to play as well.
But I think the show would be full of slow songs and never really
kick you in the ass.
However, if Pink Floyd were to go on tour and actually play a
concert here (never happen) and tickets weren't $200, I'd go to see
it.

Tom
Ritchie
2005-06-16 02:07:57 UTC
Post by t***@abcs.com
Liking PF or not, I just can't say I'd rather see them in concert.
I'll give it to Gilmour that he's got a great sense of melody, and
therefore plays very melodic guitar solos. Stuff you'll always
remember. PF also has a concert full of good songs to play as well.
But I think the show would be full of slow songs and never really
kick you in the ass.
I don't have to go see a band with kick ass type of music to enjoy a
concert. One of my favorite bands, Queen never had that type of music and i
enjoyed their shows a lot. I have gone to classical concerts and have
enjoyed them a lot more than a JP or Maiden concert. I love to hear a good
orchestra play with all the emotions and highs and lows in a classical
performance. I also like the opera at times, depends what's being
performed. I went to see Evanescence with my gf and while their music is
nothing groundbreaking they put on a very good show and Amy is quite a very
good front person.
Post by t***@abcs.com
However, if Pink Floyd were to go on tour and actually play a
concert here (never happen) and tickets weren't $200, I'd go to see
it.
I think I would spend $200 on Floyd before I spent it on JP, Maiden or
Sabbath but that's just me. I tire too easily of the same old thing.
t***@abcs.com
2005-06-16 02:24:33 UTC
Post by Ritchie
Post by t***@abcs.com
However, if Pink Floyd were to go on tour and actually play a
concert here (never happen) and tickets weren't $200, I'd go to see
it.
I think I would spend $200 on Floyd before I spent it on JP, Maiden or
Sabbath but that's just me. I tire too easily of the same old thing.
All true I guess. However, I've bought a shitload of JP CD's, tapes
and so on. I have only bought one PF CD, and I am not sure I still
have it.

Tom

kevin
2005-06-16 01:54:25 UTC
what a ridiculous thing to say! LOL
Bomber
2005-06-12 22:03:29 UTC
Post by Ritchie
If anyone is a fan of PF there are rumors that the original Line up of
Waters, Gilmour, Mason and Wright are reuniting for a benefit concert. If
I'm not mistaken this is the first time they will perform together in over
20 plus years. I have always liked their music and I think Gilmour is one
of the best lead guitarist out there. I will be surprised if it happens
because there was a lot of anger between Waters and the rest of the band
during these 20 plus years. Who knows maybe Waters decided to grow up and
stop being such a cry baby.
Unfortunatly I think it will just be a one off thing. It would be cool for
them to do a final tour even though I hate Roger Waters. I saw them here in
'94. Amazing show. Of course they could've just played a cd with their music
and the show would've been the same. The band is second to the stage show.
Ritchie
2005-06-12 22:04:17 UTC
Post by Bomber
Unfortunatly I think it will just be a one off thing. It would be cool
for them to do a final tour even though I hate Roger Waters. I saw them
here in '94. Amazing show. Of course they could've just played a cd with
their music and the show would've been the same. The band is second to
the stage show.
I wish they would do another album also but I don't think it will happen.
Also about the shows they put on, they are fantastic and they must be
extravagant since neither of the band members has any type of personality
on stage whatsoever. Waters just stands there playing his bass guitar
emotionless and singing monotone and while Gilmour is a fantastic guitarist
he also has no emotion on stage whatsoever.

But I love the music they made together as a band.

I think tonight will be a Pink Floyd night in my house which will provide
for a lot of entertainment on my part being that my gf is staying over
tonight and she hates Floyd.

mmhahahahahahahaha!
t***@abcs.com
2005-06-13 01:21:54 UTC
Post by Ritchie
But I love the music they made together as a band.
I think tonight will be a Pink Floyd night in my house which will provide
for a lot of entertainment on my part being that my gf is staying over
tonight and she hates Floyd.
mmhahahahahahahaha!
Might that ruin some other plans?

Tom
t***@abcs.com
2005-06-13 01:26:38 UTC
Post by Ritchie
during these 20 plus years. Who knows maybe Waters decided to grow up and
stop being such a cry baby.
Speaking of Water, That freaking tropical storm, what's left of it,
passed right over my home town. Been raining all day. Nothing real
serious, but I'm sure there'll be a lot of flooding.

Tom
Neon Knight
2005-06-13 02:02:33 UTC
Post by Ritchie
If anyone is a fan of PF there are rumors that the original Line up
of Waters, Gilmour, Mason and Wright are reuniting for a benefit
concert.
It's not the original lineup without Syd. Maybe they can get him back
for a show? :)
Ritchie
2005-06-13 02:08:34 UTC
True but Syd is probably in parts unknown now.
Neon Knight
2005-06-13 11:22:02 UTC
If he's even still alive.
Perkuna$
2005-06-13 08:34:07 UTC
Found this at their official site: www.pinkfloyd.com:

It was confirmed today that Roger Waters will join Pink Floyd to perform at the Live8 concert in Hyde Park on 2nd July.

David Gilmour made the following statement:
"Like most people I want to do everything I can to persuade the G8 leaders to make huge commitments to the relief of poverty and increased aid to the third world. It's crazy that America gives such a paltry percentage of its GNP to the starving nations. Any squabbles Roger and the band have had in the past are so petty in this context, and if re-forming for this concert will help focus attention then it's got to be worthwhile."

So it looks like it's going to happen!
--
Perkuna$
Let the cynics drop dead in their critical head